Wednesday, October 30, 2013

St. Mary's Challenger Conversion Confirmed

I had a few minutes of my lunch break left, so I thought I would alert my readers of this sad event.

The St. Mary's Challenger, the oldest freighter on the Great Lakes, is scheduled to be converted into an Articulated Barge by Bay Shipbuilding Co. out of Sturgeon Bay, WI. At 107 years old, the ship needs a new engine, put costs approximately $15 million to $20 million to replace. Apparently, Port City Steamship Services cannot afford this, so they are converting her into a barge. Work is supposed to begin November 7 and the conversion is expected to be completed by May 2015. Work also includes building the articulated tug.

This is a sad end to the oldest freighter on the Lakes. Why not turn her into museum ship? She's piece of history. But I guess it's better than scrapping.

I also wanted to say that I will start reporting again in the next couple days. I just had a lot of problems and delays, but those have been fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment